Saturday, January 14, 2012

Black-footed Project Completion and Going Home


I walked my last sector collecting Black-footed Albatross data on Wednesday morning the 11th. We had the rest of the afternoon off and I used the time to return borrowed items and get my bags packed. We flew out of Midway before dawn on Thursday the 12th and I was back to the hotel in Waikiki by noon. It's always bittersweet to leave Midway as I enjoy the residents, my coworkers and the WILDLIFE. But I also miss my family and am happy to see Jan and be with her again. The pictures include the last sector that I worked through and a nesting Black-footed Albatross. One of about 1700 nests that I mapped. It was not a bad place to work!

3 comments:

  1. Aloha Gary, I have enjoyed your blog, and previous ones as well. It is very nostaglic to leave . . . Congrats on being home. Glad you were able to help out the USGS project so they could go home in peace.
    Stay in touch, Sharon & Gil Donnelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary,
    Thanks for sharing your adventure again; and for ALL you do. Great photos.

    Mona & Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice ,I also great found of such things , thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete