Saturday, February 21, 2009

First Day on Midway

We had a good flight up to Midway yesterday afternoon. We saw the reef at French Frigate Shoals but Tern Island was hidden by clouds. The flight took about 5 hours. We have had our orientation and were given a bicycle for our time here. The bike extends your range considerably so that is nice. I think it will be my main form of transportation. There are Laysan Albatross everywhere, including on the walkway into my house. There are about 480,000 Laysan nests. There are similarities between here and Tern Island but there is much more development here. Much of the development is WWII vintage and is little used or not used at all in some cases. My living arrangements are good. I'm in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with one other volunteer. I'll write more on all these topics as I get settled in.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gary, Glad you are there safe and sound. Looking forward to your pictures of course. It sounds from your first posting as though your house should be nice, or at least allow privacy and companionship too. You told me there would be "hundreds of thousands" of albatross, and it sounds like there are. Until later, John V.

    ReplyDelete