Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Albatross Count

We continue to count every day after a day and a half off for Christmas. I think everyone is a little tired as our days are getting a little shorter but I'm still pooped by days end. We were back to Eastern Island today and I didn't hear what the percentages were for the sectors we finished. Yesterday we again saw a Peregrine Falcon being mobbed by 30 or 40 White Terns. It is neat! Several Hawaiian Monk Seals were on the beach in areas we were counting so we give them a wide berth. We counted near the Short-tailed Albatross nest today and saw the male sitting on the egg. There are only about 2,000 of these birds on the planet after uncontrolled feather hunting at the end of the 19th century. They used to be the most numerous albatross in the North Pacific. They have been slow to return but are on the increase. My best friends in the counting group will be leaving on Thursday to go back to the real world and I will be sorry to see them go. I think we are more than 3/4 done with the count.

No comments:

Post a Comment