Monday, December 19, 2011

Counting Albatross

We had our first full day of work on Saturday and it lived up to my expectations. We stepped through into empty nesting burrows on a regular basis and always when you least expect. Some are nearly knee deep so it is hard on your legs and ankles and even more on your spirit. There was also heavy growth of Verbesina, an awful invasive that covers huge areas on the islands. Some areas we worked through yesterday, the growth was chest high and dense enough that you couldn't see the ground you were walking on. I had imagined all these scenarios before coming and my imaginings were not too far wrong. We are seeing interesting things regularly and I'm always excited to be here.Today, Monday, was a replay of yesterday and we are getting lots of work done. Tomorrow we head out to Eastern Island to begin the sectors out there. It will be a 10 minute boat ride across the channel and then a full day of work there. Like I did the last time I was here I'm teaching the English class for Thai second language learners while the regular teacher is off island. They are a great group of guys and are appreciative of even the most hastily prepared lessons. There was an Origami project going on when I arrived here to fold a thousand cranes and one of the new volunteers realized that I was "uncle Gary" who had taught all of the Thai men Origami. It's gratifying to have a legacy on Midway!

1 comment:

  1. How Neat! The only thing we left on Midway was a refriderator magnet for Reisen Plumbing-Dubuque.

    Mona & Nelson

    ReplyDelete