Saturday, March 20, 2010

Laysan Albatross Band Repair











Last evening when I returned from dinner there was an adult Laysan Albatross in our yard and it had a band. Banded birds are uncommon enough in our neighborhood that I looked at it closely and it was open and in need of repair. About this time my housemate, Ann, came home and we decided to try to repair the band. I watched the bird and she went to our office to get the banding pliers. While she went inside to get gloves, the bird walked right near me and I captured it easily. Ann came outside, readjusted and read the band, and we released the bird. It all went very nicely and gave us a chance to practice our rusty skills. The pictures with this post are other birds in the yard. I didn't think to photograph the bird with the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment