Friday, March 26, 2010

Snorkel Trip to the Reef























We had a wonderful trip to the reef to snorkel this afternoon. My supervisor has said that I could take time off to be with Jan's group anytime so I took the afternoon off and went snorkeling. Most of the group went and we motored to the reef on the north side of the lagoon. The fish diversity is amazing and I don't get more than 100 yards from the boat for most of the swim. Some people choose to cover lots of territory and I usually choose to concentrate on the details. Jan enjoyed the snorkeling and didn't get too cold even though it is all wet suit swimming at this point. From the top the pictures are: Spotted Puffer, Hogfish, Blackside Hawkfish, Ornate Butterflyfish, and Oval Butterflyfish.







2 comments:

  1. Gary, These are very beautiful fish. Nice pictures. About how big are they? You seem to have had little trouble getting them pictured right in the middle of your field in each shot -- so are they slow swimmers or just really mellow when you were there. I would presume they can dart away if startled, right? Are any of the fish there plain and fairly colorless or are they all really vividly colored like these? I remember the Laysan Duck from your other trip. Is its population stable, or is that known? Marla and I hiked in Dye Crk Preserve today. Very nice country and interesting info from docents---a good day. JV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics, Dad. Glad to hear what you and Mom are up to.

    ReplyDelete