Thursday, March 12, 2009

World War II History




There are memorials in many spots around the island dedicated to the Sailors and Marines that fought here during the battle of Midway in 1942. There are also several buildings left from that era. The 2 photos that accompany this post show the Seaplane Hanger and the building where torpedoes were assembled. The torpedo building also has a loft that was used to hang and pack parachutes. The torpedo building is the top photo and the seaplane hanger is the lower photo.

2 comments:

  1. Gary, I wore pink on Friday, or as close to pink as I had in my drawer. By the time you return to the mainland things may be sorted out a bit, hopefully for the much better. I continue to check on your blog and enjoy following your photos and descriptions as you explore your surroundings. Lots of interest there. So different from Tern Island. I would relay news to you if I could think of any that I had. All is well, you aren't really missing too much as far as my end is concerned so you might as well be well the hell and gone out there like you are. Take care. John V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you that the stock market has been up for 4 days...there wil be more downs but that is the first time in months that it has been up this long...these building pictures are interexting...I would like to see more...Jan

    ReplyDelete